Friday, October 24, 2014

Wandering Buddy

Wednesday I found Buddy the bull in the middle pasture.  The rest of the herd was taking their siesta along the south pasture south fence.  I opened the gate, called for Buddy, and he came sauntering over, walked through the gate, then sauntered over to his girls.

I found where the fence wire was broken and fixed the fence.

Late Thursday afternoon, just before dark, I heard Beulah bellowing at the gate between the south and middle pastures. I saw Buddy in the middle pasture along a the steer calf that slips though the fences.  I went to let Buddy back into the south pasture.  This time the herd was near the gate.  This is a barb wire / string gate.  It is next on my list of gates to replace with metal gates.  So it is a difficult gate to handle by oneself when cattle are on each side of the gate.

Buddy slowly came to the gate.  I opened it and he then walked and stood in the gate.  Come on Buddy, walk through.  As I waited a cow slipped through the gate between Buddy and the fence post.  I blocked another cow from going through.  Then I tried to get Buddy through again and another cow slipped through before I could stop her.  I was getting aggravated. Not a good thing around a bull as Buddy started to get upset.  He put his head down and hopped around on his front legs facing me.  I settled down, closed the gate and put the fence between us.  Buddy quickly calmed down.

Now I had four cattle in the middle pasture.

I went home and got a few steel posts and wire and came back to the pasture.  The cattle were away from, but still, near the gate and Buddy was standing at the gate.  I opened the gate and Buddy walked through before any other cattle could slip through.

The two cows were away from the gate eating like there was no tomorrow.  I wasn't going to get them through a gate I can't leave open as I herd them.

I went to see where Buddy came through the fence.  The repair job from Wednesday was still good. I didn't find any breaks but I did find a low area that Buddy may have jumped over.  I added the posts and wire and I'll see if that finally stops him.

Back at the gate the steer calf was standing.  Beulah was right on the other side.  I think it may be her calf (Note to Uncle Larry: I am thinking of changing his name from Buster to either Houdini or Hamburger.), else she was just annoyed the other two cows were having what she could not.  I couldn't get the cattle to move away from the gate. Beulah was getting upset with me when I tried to shoo her away from the gate.  I didn't try too hard as with only me the cattle would come back to the gate before I could herd the two cows through.

There is no harm in letting the cows and steer be in the middle pasture overnight.  Their calves may be unhappy with their mothers by morning.

It had rained off and on all day and I walked home with wet shoes and pants after walking through the tall grass.  Life on the Ranch.

No comments: