Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Hayshed gate

A few days ago I noticed the horses pushed against the hayshed wooden gates and broke part of them.  I fixed the gates.   Then I decided to finally fix the north gate's lag bolt hinge.  The lag bolt had come out of the supporting post and board.  Past attmepts to fix the lag bolt resulted in the hole getting stripped out and enlarged.  I had to be careful when opening the gate as the bolt would pop out.

I cut off the bad part of the board and replaced it with a newer one in which to screw in the bottom lag bolt.


I also wanted to have the gate sit slightly higher as the gate would catch on the ground as I opened it.  The top bolt needed also go slightly over to one side so the gate would not track down when opened.  I got distracted talking with the neighbor lady and my brain checked out slightly and I drilled the new hole lower when I needed to go higher as shown below


The gate now opens smoothly and doesn't drag against the ground.

 The horses naturally were interested in what I was doing.  Here one horse inspects my fix.



Daisy kept me company while I worked.  She was inside the hayshed and when I finished she hopped up on the gate.  Here you can see how much I raised the gate.  It used to be even lower than the other gate on the left.


The horses inspecting my tools.


The next photos show how I have to protect my little trees from the livestock.   The cattle especially will chomp on the trees.  That is why the tree below is narrower on the lower half than the upper half.


Other makeshift tree protections.  Some trees are out growing their protection.



No comments: