Saturday, July 12, 2014

10 tons

Today I got hay from Wyatt.  330 bales to fill my barn.  About 10 tons.  Wyatt has a bale collector and he brought the hay over using the new gate I put in my fence between my pasture and his field.  The gate made delivering the hay much easier and quicker for him.

However...

The electrical lines hang low over the gate.  Much lower than the rest of the wires beyond the poles on each side of these wires.  Fortunately Wyatt noticed wires before his bale collector could snag them.  It is Saturday so no use calling the power company.  Wyatt got his little D-9 cat and lowered the ground.



The ground is now lower than what I'd like.  I'm afraid that when the cattle are in this pasture later the calves can crawl under the gate.  The hay is all delivered and once the power company raises the lines we can fill some dirt back in.


Wyatt's bale collector has a sticky valve and each time he had to fiddle with it.  It made me nervous each time.


One stack of 55 hay bales.  All total I got six stacks delivered.  The stack is 7 bales high: two bales higher than I can reach from the ground.  I had to use a ladder to get the bales from the top two layers down and into the barn.   It would take me 35 to 40 minutes to move all the bales into the barn.  Moving all the bales took much of the day.  A temperature of 90 degrees was no fun.


A full barn.  Only room for five more bales.


None of the bales broke when I moved them.  This is what flaked off the bales when I moved them.  A half bale or more of hay.  I gathered the loose stuff and piled it in the barn.  Good thing I didn't get five more bales.


Each time I moved a stack I got soaked in sweat and covered in hay.


Here is a short video of the bale collector unloading its bales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73SjT-aq1Uc&feature=youtu.be

No comments: