Friday, July 18, 2014

Fruit tree area for the horses

Wednesday I did some "horse proofing" in the fruit tree and garden area.

This is the best my rhubarb has done.  I don't know if the weather caused this, the horses eating it down last year, or if digging a larger area around the plants so the leaves don't go into the grass did it.  Now the leaves again grow out into the grass.

In the past the cattle and horses avoided the rhubarb leaves since they didn't like the taste.  But one or more horses developed a taste last year and started to eat it down.  Hence the cage around the plant this year.



Four strawberry plants are all that are left from my patch.  The grass overtook the rest of the plants.  It appears my raspberry patch may be heading that way this year.  I haven't found the time to keep up the weeding.


Thursday morning I let the horses in here to eat the grass down.  Usually this occurs earlier in the year and the grass is not as tall.




No comments: