Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Garden path

I tried again this year to have a garden. I was late in rotor-tilling the garden area in early June.  Once I got the ground tilled I needed to lay down concrete blocks to have a path along the fences on the west and south sides.  When I had a garden before I had grass paths on those sides and they were a pain to mow in addition to getting muddy when it rained.  And I had various concrete pieces I needed to use instead of having them just sit around.

I laid down some blocks on the west side and then the rain started.  Lots of rain in June.  I finally finished the west path during Tammy's yard sale when she didn't want me around.

Then interruptions again.

The past few days, after letting the horses in the fruit tree and garden area, I thought I could quickly finish the path on the south side.  I finally finished today.

Needless to say - no garden this year.  But this effort should make next year's garden preparation go quicker.


The view of the area after I took up the plastic and boards used to kill the grass.  For the most part they did, but not completely.  It was tough going through the roots with the rotor-tiller.  In the photo following this one you can see how the grass is coming back.




As you can the paths are not straight.  I tried to align the large blocks with the fence posts and the fence is not straight.

Also as you can see, I had so many concrete pieces of different sizes and styles.  As these pieces were gathered over the years, instead of purchased just for the garden I had this and that and not enough of one style.

Function over style once again.  Good thing Tammy is not here else I would get crap on how bad it looks.

The three odd pieces in the middle... odd and ends left over.  They are not part of the path.  I just left them here for now.  They will come in handy when I lay plastic down later to kill the grass for next year's garden.


No comments: