Thursday, October 17, 2013

Well casing in the hole

Since the contractor with the excavator wouldn't do the job for me on Tuesday because he didn't want to lift the well casing into the hole, Wyatt came over today, and with his tractor, we placed the well casing into the hole for it.

Before Wyatt came over after work I had dug the ground to slant the pipe down to the concrete casing and then rolled the pipe to the hole.

You know, if Wyatt wasn't available I am sure I could have lifted the casing higher and slid it into the hole myself. After all, I got the casing lifted onto tree stumps.  This is the same as my lifting in stages the heavier railroad ties into holes to use as fence posts.  I am glad I didn't have to use this method as it would be somewhat uncontrolled while using a chain and the tractor provided much better control.





Wyatt brought his old 1941 Case tractor over as this tractor has a higher reach than his other tractor with a loader.

The casing went into the hole easily.  Wyatt lifted one end and the casing slid into the hole.  The overhead electric wires were not a problem.


We repositioned the chain and then he was able to lift the casing so we could position the bottom to the side of the concrete ring.  I want the casing to one side of the ring to give me room beside the casing to work with the pump, etc.


Then we repositioned the chain higher again and Wyatt pushed down and wiggled the pipe a little to set the bottom of the pipe into the ground a little bit.   His tractor doesn't have a lot of down pressure as the front of the tractor rose up when he pressed down.  Still, he was able to push the pipe a half foot into the ground. The 25 ft 4 inch casing pipe sticks out of the ground exactly 15 ft.



We chained the pipe to fence posts to ensure the casing pipe didn't lean too far over once we released it from the tractor.  I then used a level to get the casing pipe exactly straight up and down.  Then I placed and staked four pipes on the ground to hold the casing pipe in place.



Now to get the contractor with the excavator to come and push the pipe into the ground.

No comments: