Friday, October 04, 2013

2013 Bonfire 4

Saturday September 14 Tammy and I had bonfire number four for 2013.   This stump was a large old stump that had burnt to the ground years ago.  With no tap root this meant the large stump was actually a collection of large roots spread out in all directions.  At the time of the fire I had not completely dug around all the roots.  This stump was in a rock bed as my digging was made difficult by all the rocks I had to dig out from around the roots. I dug out enough rocks to fill a wheelbarrow.

In addition to not digging around all the roots I also did not dig as deep as I normally do.  I counted on the stump "taking off" and burning down and also burning the partially dug out side roots.  I was successful as fire even burned the roots I had not completely dug around.








The stump the next day...


The ashes were still warm four days later.   Then it rained an inch.  Here is how the stump looked 11 days later after several rains settled the ashes.


Now to fill the dirt back into the hole.

No comments: