Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Jan's ER visit

Sunday morning at 7 am Jan called me and asked me to take her to the ER at the hospital.  She hasn't eaten much in three days, had flu-like symptoms and had a horrible migraine headache.  It felt like someone hitting her in the head with an ax.

In the ER we had to wait.  A young couple in their pajamas with their baby was talking with the one person in charge.  After a long wait Jan talked to him.  Then came back to sit next to me.  After another long wait she was called in to a back room.

I passed the time talking with a guy waiting on his wife.  She had miscarried earlier and they were waiting for her to pass the fetus when she started to bleed heavily.  He waited in the lobby except for a few times when he was called back to her.  He couldn't handle being there during her exam and procedure.

I was called back around 10:30 am.  Then a young ER doc came in and talked fast with lots of jargon. He thought her headache may be due to temporal arteritis.   He wanted a few more tests to double check stuff.  From the chest x-ray he was surprised to see signs of pneumonia.

So it was decided to admit her into the hospital.

Nurses with meds came by: antibiotics, steroids, pain meds.

More waiting.

The admitting doc came by and did another exam on Jan.

Then we had to wait for a room.  In between times while waiting I asked the staff for a drink of water for Jan.  I also had the staff get Jan a warm blanket as she was getting chilled.

After 2:30 pm Jan was admitted and taken to her room.  I left at 3 pm once she was settled.  Her headache was only slightly dulled due to the pain meds but she had taken short cat naps while waiting.

I was hungry when I got home and had breakfast, lunch and dinner in one meal.

Jan was released from the hospital today.

No comments: