Thursday, September 19, 2013

Newer concrete rings

I'm still working on fixing my livestock's well.

This is what I lasted posted about the well - when I removed the second concrete ring.
http://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2013/08/well-casing-removal.html

I wanted to get a larger 'container' to hold the pump and pipe underground.  I checked into buying a larger concrete ring and got a price of $115 for each 3 ft long by 3 ft diameter section.  $345 for the three sections I wanted.  I checked into buying a 3 ft diameter by 6 to 8 ft long metal culvert.  Price (when I found a culvert section in the business's yard after being told they didn't have any culverts): $360.

I put a wanted ad on Craigslist for:
I could use a large metal culvert or concrete rings (well casings).
The culvert should be 3 to 4 ft in diameter and around 8 ft long.
-or-
The concrete rings should be 3 to 4 ft in diameter.
 Several days later I got a call from a guy who had five concrete rings that were 3 ft long by 3 ft in diameter.  He wanted $25 for each section.

Score!

I had borrow a trailer to haul the rings and last Thursday I borrowed Dan's trailer.

Dan assured me that the ball for his flatbed trailer was the same size as the ball he used to tow my stock trailer when he borrowed it.  To be safe I took a larger sized ball along with me.

The trailer easily hooked up to my pickup and Tammy and I were off the seven to eight miles to get the concrete rings.  The ring were up on the back part of the owner's property and I had to drive up the hillside on a "path" through the forest.

The rings had been sitting there from the time of the previous owner - many years.  The rings were sitting on their end and were heavy.  Very heavy.  The rings are 3 ft in diameter and their walls are 3 inches thick for a total diameter outside to outside of 42 inches. The rings sat in the ground and it took both of us straining to lift one side high enough for Tammy to put a 4by4 board (one of the short ones I got from my uncles in Washington) under the ring.  Then we were able to re-position our grips and were able to tip the ring over on its side.

The owner and I then rolled the ring up on the trailer.  Once the ring was on the back of the trailer the front of the trailer went up in the air.  What?!

The ball on the hitch was too small.   Good thing I brought a larger ball.  However I didn't bring a large enough pipe wrench.  Fortunately the owner had larger wrenches and a pipe to extend for more leverage as the ball was stuck fast onto the hitch.

Once a ring was on the trailer we tipped the ring back on its end.  The rings were so heavy I didn't need to tie them down.  If they didn't move driving the "path" off his property, the rings weren't going to move driving on paved roads.


Due to road construction I had to drive through town to get home.  The trailer's brakes were "grabby" which made it annoying when I had to stop at the traffic lights.

I asked my neighbor Wyatt to help me tip the rings back on their sides and roll them off the trailer as I couldn't budge the rings by myself.  I used three 2by6 boards to roll the rings off the trailer and they all broke.  To get the other two rings off the trailer we rolled them onto old vehicle tires on the ground and the rings bounced harmlessly.

The rings were very heavy and I found it harder to get footing on the slick trailer boards than I did on the ground.  Wyatt told me to have him bring his tractor the next time I have something so heavy.  The goal this coming weekend is to put them in the ground using Wyatt's tractor.

Here is a view of the three new rings with one of the old rings in front of them.

No comments: