Saturday, September 07, 2013

Falling ice

Friday afternoon we had a crazy thunderstorm.  I was at a neighbor's garage sale visiting when all of a sudden we heard a loud bang on the metal garage roof.

Huh?

Then another loud bang.  Then..  another loud bang.  The pace slowly picked up.   I looked outside and it appeared if large pieces of ice were falling from the sky.

Then the pace picked up until the sound was deafening on the metal garage roof.  Then it started to rain and that turned into a downpour once the ice stopped falling.

This was more than hail.  The ice were clear relatively round balls of ice a size slightly smaller than golf balls.  Some ice pieces bounced into the garage and I stepped on them.  I could not crush them under my shoe.

I then realized I left my house windows open and one of the windows opened outward.  I could imagine the window's glass being shattered by the falling ice.

I had to wait until the rain quit and I rode my bicycle home to discover the window's glass was intact.

*whew* 

 20 minutes after the ice fell it had still had not completely melted.



No comments: