Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Horse jailbreak

While I was away visiting my relatives in Washington State over Labor Day weekend I was worried about the cattle or horses making a jailbreak.  To my relief they behaved and didn't make a jailbreak. However... the neighbor's seven horses broke out of their pasture Tuesday night.  Actually six horses and one jackass.

I was heading out to the pasture when I noticed my horses looking with great interest towards the neighbors place across the road.  I saw seven horses running on my neighbor's property.  Did he get horses?   When I saw the horses run around his house I realized they weren't in his corral.  Wait a minute... seven horses.  I looked at my southern neighbor's pasture and didn't see any horses.

The horses then ran out of the property across the street and down to the road toward my driveway.  A SUV on the road convinced the horses to turn into my driveway.   My horses had freaked out and ran over the temporary corral panels by my barn knocking them over on their way out of the corral.  I closed the gate to the pasture to keep the horses apart and opened the gate to the yard.  The horses ran into the corral.



My horses were concerned about these new horses in their corral and kept a close eye on things.


Now to find the owners.

The horses were pastured in a rental yard.  The person renting the house was different than the horse owners.

To make a long story short, no one knew the phone number of the horse owners.  Not the house renter and to my surprise, not the rental company.  The company claimed they didn't know the horses were pastured there.

To complicate matters I need the corral Wednesday morning as the cattle are scheduled to be hauled out to go to auction.

Kyle, the house renter, was located and he came over and got the horses.  He put bridals on two horses and led them back to their pasture. 


The remaining horses watched and whinnied at the two horses back in their pasture.



For the remaining five horses I led two horses while Kyle led the other three.

The horses had gotten out of their pasture when they broke the chain on a gate.  The horse owners had extended the chain with a small chain and that was not up to the task.  The horses' pasture is eaten down and earlier in the day I saw several horses stretching through the fence to reach the grass in the ditch.

While Kyle was leading the horses back to their pasture Tammy watched his son.  The son had a big pouty lower lip until Tammy held and distracted him.


Umm...  not so close to the jackass.


No comments: