Thursday, September 05, 2013

All but one has left

September and time for the cattle to go to the livestock auction.  The auction is Thursday and Wednesday morning Evan came and got the cattle to take to Missoula.  All the cattle except Momma.

Dan was out of town so it was just me and Evan to load the cattle.

Evan said he would arrive here between 11 am and noon.  Good thing I got the cattle into the corral by 9:30 am as Evan arrived at 10:15 am.  I timed moving the cattle into the corral to when they were about to take their siesta.  Once they settle down for their siesta they are harder to move. Several cattle saw me with the bucket of apples came halfway across the field to me.

The cattle were strung out and I had to keep feeding apples to the first cattle to keep them occupied in the corral while the last cattle arrived.  This is easier said than done as some cattle were very insistent on eating more apples.

Momma wasn't going to the auction so I had figure out a way to separate her from the herd when it came time to load the trailer.  Momma solved this for me when she was wary of coming in the corral.  She came in initially but then decided to go outside and watch from outside the fence.  Momma is smart.  Based on last year, and her trip this past July, she realized something 'bad' would happen if the cattle came in to the corral.  So she stood outside and mooed trying to warn the other cattle.  All but one ignored her.  I had to use extra apples to get him to the gate and then a combination of apples and herding to get him to walk through it.

Momma was happy to stay outside the corral fence until Evan came and we loaded the other cattle and Evan drove off.  Then Momma couldn't decide if she wanted to be close to the corral fence or not.  Once the cattle left she decided she didn't want to be near me and spent the afternoon mid hayfield.  The last few days she wouldn't take any apples from me though she eagerly took them from Tammy.  I guess she doesn't like me anymore.

In the evening Momma walked the fence and would moo at me to bring her friends back.  My goal is to get more cattle sooner than later so Momma has company.

Getting ready to leave


Number 70 always was a "scaredy-cat steer".   But he gained weight nicely and looked good.


A little 'head-to-head' arguing.

In the loading corral

My completed rebuilt loading corral  worked great.  It winnowed the cattle to a single file well before entering the trailer.  No more doubled up cattle getting squeezed.



Evan has a long trailer.  Unlike last year where we struggle to fit the last couple of cattle into the trailer, this year the cattle easily fit.



No slipping  between the head gate and the trailer.



Momma watched from a distance as the cattle left.





No comments: