Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Baby's first snow

Last night when I went to bed after 1 am Momma and Baby were standing in the leeward side of the patio to get out of the wind and snow.  They weren't there when I got up at 6:30 am to shovel the snow for Tammy before she went to work.  They were back when I got up for the day mid morning.  They looked a little bewildered by the early snow, especially as the snow covered all the grass.

The horses were out in the pasture so I closed the gate and let Momma and Baby into the corral.  I don't trust the horses around Baby so I don't want them mixing.   Then I put hay out for Momma to eat.

Baby ran around the corral checking everything out.  Horse poop was a new smell for her.  She also slipped on a snow covered board in a funny way.  She had a white face from the snow.


I also noticed that Baby's fur on her chest is thicker.  This is probably due to her laying on the cold ground.

I broke the thin ice on the water trough.




When I put hay into the feeder I also put a little hay on the concrete step outside the barn door. Later I noticed it looked like Baby had been eating that hay.  Else Momma had eaten it all.  I suspected Baby had eaten some of it.  Earlier I have been noticing Baby in the pasture with her head down like she was eating some grass.  I also have noticed her bottom teeth have come - or are coming - in.  It looks like she is still feeding from Momma.  Baby is a couple months old now.

Later in the afternoon I got a big bucket and put hay in it for Baby as the feeder is a little too high for her to eat from.  Naturally Momma was interested in this new 'fresh' hay.  But it looked like Baby was getting some hay too.


No comments: