Monday, June 11, 2012

Dan's cattle

Late Saturday morning Dan brought his cattle to my pasture.

Dan brought ten cattle.  Earlier in the Spring I mentioned that I planned on getting ten head and that would leave ten head for Dan as I only wanted twenty head of cattle in the pasture.  Dan was with me when I got eleven head of cattle.  He even made a comment that I need to quit buying cattle or he wouldn't have any room for his cattle.  So I thought he knew that left only nine head for him.  I was surprised when he said he had ten head.  Dan said his tenth head was a smaller one.  ...okay.

When the cattle jumped out of Dan's trailer I noticed his tenth head was smaller - but no smaller than my largest heifer.

Dan's cattle were so large he had to have two loads to bring his cattle. They appear to weigh more than a couple hundred pounds more than my cattle.

Each time Dan brought cattle everyone immediately got together.  Then the newcomers wanted to immediately check the pasture out and off they went.  Lots of wandering around and around checking everything out for the rest of the afternoon until they finally settled down for their siesta late afternoon.  My cattle has been in the pasture for almost a day so they had settled down.  But with the newcomers they were up and around with them all day.

Last year I had nineteen head of cattle total and still had grass left at the end of the year.  It was a wet year and the grass grew tall.   This year had been a drier year up until mid-May and the grass is lagging.  Hopefully the weather doesn't immediately go into mid Summer and hot temperatures so as to give the grass time to absorb the moisture and grow before the ground dries up.  We'll see if the pasture will support the twenty-one head of cattle.



Here is a 1:16 video of the cattle.  The first part shows two of my cattle.  The last part is of Dan's cattle.  Notice the one in the background licking the tree.  After the video she took to using the tree to scratch an itch in the middle of her head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1neCmJRBLXk&feature=youtu.be


No comments: