Monday, June 04, 2012

A bullet whizzed by

Sunday evening I heard gunshots down near the river and went to investigate.  The shooting was on the other side of the river on the neighbor's land. I saw two guys moving around in among the trees along the ridge.

Years before I moved here my neighbor got a bullet that went through two of his house walls.  From the angle of the two holes it appeared the bullet came from the ridge across the river. Since then the landowner apparently banned most people from shooting on his land and even then supposedly banned them from using rifles when shooting on his land.

The two guys were shooting lots. "Pop.  Pop. Pop.".  As I heard of the "no rifles" rule I wasn't concerned about bullets on my side of the river.  And who would be stupid enough to shoot across the river?   I stood out on the open listening and watching.  Shots for a while. Then quiet.  Then more "pop pop pop" shots.  Then after a shot I heard a bullet whiz by near me.  A little up and to one side.  "Whiiizzzzzzz...."

What?!

I shouted to the two guys that their bullets were crossing the river to my side.

Silence.

After a few to five minutes more shots.

Really?!   Not even the decency to verbally reply.  I know they could hear me as off-and-on earlier I could hear the two talking to one another.

I left and went home to call the landowner.  He is supposedly pretty ill with cancer.  He may not know someone was shooting recklessly on his land.  It was by now 8:45 pm.  No answer.  I didn't know if he was home or away on another journey for a medical solution.

I called another neighbor friend of his.  He steered me to the landowner's son who I reached.  The son told me no one should be shooting on the land other perhaps his son (age 19) who currently was out with a friend. The son's son was allowed to shoot with a 22 rifle on the land.

I explained what had happened and the son promised to speak to his son to learn if it was him who was shooting.

Man, always excitement.  Though dodging bullets is not my kind of excitement.  I'll leave that to the movies.

No comments: