Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Finish the harrowing

I finished harrowing the hayfield and all the pastures today.  I'm tired from being tossed around.  The ground is not smooth.  I realized that I had not drug the harrow last year, and even though I raked the pocket gopher mounds smooth after trapping the pocket gophers, the ground seemed to have "gone backwards" since I last drug the harrow.

Tammy came out yesterday to bring me a little water and lunch and ended up riding with me for a little while.  Unfortunately the time Tammy rode with me was when I worked the middle pasture.  The middle pasture is the roughest pasture by far.  We were tossed all around as I drove as we had lots of hills and holes.  It was similar to being on a carnival ride.  After an hour or so Tammy decided to go back to painting her Antique Flea Market signs.


The grass took a beating from the harrow but it shouldn't be long until it is back to normal and bright green.



Here is part of the reason for dragging the harrow: manure. Big piles don't dry and break down back into the soil very fast.  I've noticed that the manure I had broken up with my rake last week after the big burn is well on its way to deteriorating back into the ground.  The harrow did a good job in breaking the manure up and is much faster than raking them all by hand.

No comments: