Friday, April 20, 2012

Cleaning the pasture

Thursday I spend some time cleaning up the pastures.

If you remember from my burning I had chopped apart a stump that had caught fire. I cleaned that up.


I also cleaned up some small piles here and there of dead branches and sticks.  When cleaning up around one old fallen tree I noticed the bark was falling off the tree trunk.  Some parts of the trunk under the bark has started to decay as this tree trunk has been dead for a few years now.  I pulled off all the bark from the tree to prevent the bark from holding future moisture against the tree trunk.



Here is the tree trunk after I stripped all of the bark off it.



When I drug the harrow around the middle pasture I accidentally snagged a dead tree stump.  Fortunately the stump was rotted and it broke off instead of breaking my harrow.  Here is the stump after I loaded it on the pickup.


This is what is left of the stump after the harrow broke off the top of the stump.  I'll dig/burn or pull the stump later.


While gathering the branches and stuff I either let the pickup run or turned it off.   At the end of the day after I unloaded all the branches I discovered the battery was dead.  What?  That was sudden.  Then I thought of how old the battery is.   It is the original battery from a 2000 model year pickup.  12 years isn't too bad for a battery.

I had to get my car (and Tammy) to jump my pickup to start it.  Even then the pickup was reluctant to start.  I drove it a little bit on the highway to charge the battery.  I'll see tomorrow if the charge holds or if the battery is a goner.

No comments: