Saturday, February 24, 2007

Toilet repair

Today I replaced the toilet tank flush valve on one of the toilets in my mother's house. The old one often wouldn't seat properly anymore and would leak causing the tank to refill.

The former valve might have been an original part of the toilet. No parts were plastic! Which is good as the nut and thread combination was quite tight and it took quite an effort by my brother and I with a very large pipe wrench and another large plier to free the nut. A plastic fixture may have broken instead of unscrewed.

It is some effort to replace one of these valves as one must drain and take the tank off the toilet's base. I didn't have the seal on quite right so I had to drain and remove the tank a second time after the first test flush. Everything works now and no leaks.

Another project completed before I leave for Montana next week.

No comments: