Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Anna Nicole

Not a lot to write about on my doings lately... the last two days I've been transfixed by the televised court room drama on where to bury Anna Nicole Smith's body. Thank goodness for cable TV.

It has been said repeatedly before by many, but what a train wreck her life was! Her pursuit of fame and celebrity didn't seem to be grounded in reality and with being aware of consequences for one's actions.

The pursuit of fame and celebrity is such a shallow obsession. Some people make fun of geeks and others who obsess over things like Star Wars, Star Trek, certain TV shows or genres, comic books, computers, sports statistics, and on and on. But these obsessions don't seem as destructive or empty as the obsession with fame and celebrity. A geek's obsession could be said to be a quest for knowledge or mastery over a subject. What is an obsession for celebrity a quest for?

I have to admit, watching Anna Nicole's life and death is fascinating. It is like looking at a car wreck; one is horrified and fascinated and glad they are not part of it.

By the way, I think Larry Birkhead is the father and he seems to be a decent guy. His testimony today was riveting. Too bad he couldn't have helped Anna Nicole. And Howard K. Stern? Pathetic.


Also part of my recent "taking it easy" is my stomach occasionally acts up. Nothing serious - just occasional gurgling. I don't know if I am fighting off some type of flu, or if I ate or drank something that I am fighting off. It is annoying but I shouldn't complain as I have not been laid low like my brother and mother had been.

No comments: