Friday, December 01, 2006

Last day of November

Yesterday I had finished cooking the last of my pumpkins and running them through the strainer to make pumpkin paste. All told I ended up cooking 4 large pots of pumpkins and filled twenty-six 8 ounce containers with pumpkin paste. I have plenty of pumpkin paste for breads and pies all next year. My problem is where to store the paste. My freezer is full so I put the paste outside in the bunk house where they froze solid. Winter's cold temperatures is good for something!

Today I made two pumpkin pies. Yum!!! Nothing like fresh pumpkin for pies.

This morning I heard a tapping/knocking sound, and looking out my kitchen window, I saw a woodpecker attacking my house. The wood above the door is apparently old and weak and he pecked his way through and was into the foam insulation when he decided it wasn't tasty and then flew off. That's all I need! A woodpecker putting holes in my house. Darn wildlife!



We received 2.5 inches of new snow overnight. More to shovel today. This is how I get my exercise now.

My snowy road.



Here is the snowplow that clears the snow - and wrecks mailboxes. Today I noticed the driver was driving the speed limit (35 mph) or less. Still, after he passed by I had to again bend my mailbox back into shape so I could shut the mailbox door. This was after a relatively light snow and a relatively slow speed for the plow.



My mailbox is still standing - but only because of the post on the left side. As you can see the mailbox now rests against that post.

In the wagon wheel photo you can see the middle board of my fence is off the post and against the wagon wheel. That is what snow from a snowplow does to mailboxes and fences.



It looks like part of the icicles fell down over night. The snake head part (as seen in the previous post's photo) of the icicle is now gone. The snow overnight must have done the deed as we had no wind.




I found that one of my "cows" committed suicide. Guess the wind and snow got to her - and winter has only just begun!


The back 40 today after last night's snowfall. I need to get some snowshoes.



No comments: