Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Crazy leaving

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am leaving for North Dakota tomorrow. Bright (?) and early as the train leaves at 7:46 am.

The past few days have been crazy as I am preparing to leave for an extended holiday. Schedules set then changed. No cross-country skiing Friday. On Monday. Then Monday was changed to Tuesday so I had to switch my Tuesday schedule to Monday on Monday morning. Now this morning it was raining - freezing rain. Black ice on the road so today's skiing was canceled. *sigh* I had hoped to ski once more before my holiday.

What else?

Today the Valley inversion finally lifted after several days (false) predictions they would. We were around 40 degrees today so everything is melting and wet outside. It was so foggy yesterday I could barely see anything during my drive to Whitefish.

Sunday I had to ride my bicycle to Walmart twice as I forgot money on my first visit. Then when I returned home from the second trip I hit something on the road's shoulder in the dark. It sounded like metal or glass as it went skiddering off the road. The impact cut my tire and the air went "pssst!", "pssst!", "pssst!" as the wheel went around until all the air quickly escaped. It was a mile and a quarter walk home. Life with a bicycle. A couple of tries and I got the tube patched to hold air.

My medical insurance won't pay for my follow-up cataract eye checkup claiming it was only an eye exam. After complaining to them they told me to have the clinic fax my medical info to them. Excuse me! I went to this clinic because they are "in network" so you should have a relationship with them and should have this already. With only today I decided to visit the clinic to ensure the appropriate info is sent. The clinic claimed they coded my visit correctly but would send the insurance company more info.

Less than a month left with this insurance company as I am switching companies Jan 1. I can't wait. I have been approved by a new company so I need my agent to stop my old policy. Guess what? He is out of town today. I wrote and signed a letter and dropped it off at his business so I hope he can handle it while I am out of state.

I took my Canon digital camera back again. Same problem. The lens cover doesn't open without help when the camera is turned on. The third time (camera) was not the charm so I decided to get my money back and will look for a new camera. The same clerk was working at OfficeMax and she recognized me when I came in carrying my camera. I told her, "We need to stop seeing each other like this." and she laughed. Even though it has been some months now, as this was my third camera, she refunded my money instead of giving me a store gift card. She tried to sell me another camera but I need to research them more before getting another one.

Don't go to the post office. Lines, lines, lines. They were out of change-of-address cards so I had to stand in line. Then another line to submit it and get stamps. Today I was yet in another post office line. A small world as the lady behind me originally lived in the same area of Tacoma, Washington as my grandparents had. How do I know this of a complete stranger? I am feeling rushed so I am in a chattier than normal mood.

Traffic everywhere! Haven't these snowbirds gone south yet?! Go! leave! Get out of my way!

I just came from the hospital as Jan had surgery today on her foot. Or not the "hospital" hospital. It looks like a hospital, and is right next to the hospital, but isn't a hospital. I forgot what it is called. Jan will be released tomorrow to return home.

I guess I should head home to make supper and finish packing. So far I am keeping my checked luggages' weight under 50 pounds each. I don't want a repeat of last years packing and repacking to get the weight "correct". What is so heavy? I'd like to know. As I was in Whitefish yesterday I picked up my train ticket. I asked how many people were boarding tomorrow. Not many. I asked, "How about Friday?"

"Lots!", she said in a surprised tone.

I bet most of the people on Friday are the Indian students from the Polson/Ronam school heading home for the holidays. I am glad to avoid them. Why? Read my initial posts to this blog as to the youthful energy and trouble they got into on last year's train trip.

Talk to you later from NoDak.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Hope you had a safe & non-youthful rowdy trip home. I've started (finally) posting to my blog, so you can check it out if you'd like.