Saturday, December 09, 2006

Valley inversions and mud

Another day - still socked in by the Valley inversions. A grey dismal day. Keep this in mind if you ever think I brag too much about the great weather here. It is not great 100% of the time. Just 90%.

Usually the inversions start to break in the late afternoon. Yesterday the inversions started to clear out and they only hung around the sides of the valley, along the mountains. I was up on the higher ridge before dropping down to my lower part of the valley and I saw the mountains tops above the thick inversion that lay against the mountain sides. It was actually pretty neat to see the mountain tops rise out the fog. I didn't have my camera with, else I would share a photo of it.

By the time I got home yesterday, and after a 20 mile bicycle ride on wet muddy roads, my shoes and lower legs were completely covered with mud. My bicycle also. I took pails of water and poured over my bicycle to wash some of the mud off. This morning the chain was stiff from the lightly frozen water. Duh! I had to work at loosening the chain so I could ride today.

It is just a few degrees colder today so the roads are not quite as wet and muddy as yesterday. The inversions brought hoarfrost and everything is coated in frost. The trees and shrubs look pretty in white. I just had to be careful riding as some roads appear to be icy.

After yesterday's "zing!' on an icy spot, this morning when I stepped outside I was careful and did not slip. The frost on all the trees helped to remind me it was slippery.

No comments: