Sunday, February 12, 2006

Winter bicycle riding

Thanks to the internet, I am not alone. I found a web page with info and stories on Ice Bicycling. That's right - I am not the only one who rides his bicycle during the winter in places where it is cold and there is snow. Who would have thought?

Back when I worked in Minnesota I was the only person at work who bicycled to work all year. Even in the snow and cold. Until he retired the only other person to also ride all winter was Ted, one of my managers. Having the only other winter bicyclist be in the same department as me was a rare co-incidence as the company at that time employed near 8,000 people. I only had about 2 miles to ride to work so it wasn't a big deal. If I drove my car it, and I, wouldn't be warm by the time I reached work. So actually I was warmer riding my bicycle. I got lots of comments though.

One day after my coldest ride ever (officially -35 F; unofficially -39 F), a co-worker informed a local TV news station. A young female reporter called and the station wanted to do a story on me for the local news. They wanted to interview me ("Why do you do this?!"), film me in the morning getting ready, and then film me as I rode down the street. I declined. I got enough of the "you're crazy!' comments at work.

Actually riding to work in the summer was more of a problem. With Minnesota's heat and humidity I would either need a shower after my ride, else I would have to ride slowly. In the winter the biggest thing would be to get the ice out of the beard I grew to protect my face during winter riding.

The winter roads weren't a problem as Minnesota heavily salts their roads. During a snowstorm the roads and their shoulders would be wet with water. With no fender over my rear wheel I would get a large biker's stripe on my back from the tire spray. I would improvise a fender by placing old newspapers in my bicycle's rack. It is surreal to see running water on the street from the melting snow when the temperature is only 10 F above. In the spring before the city cleaned the streets the fine white salt dust would blow around and be a hazard to a bicyclist's lungs.

A few times freezing rain coated the roads during the work day. I would leave a little before rush hour, else after it was over. On one particular icy day I found confidence was the key to staying up right on my bicycle. After riding much of the distance over pure ice, a block from home I had a doubt and a moments hesitation and down I went.

I find now, being a little older (and maybe wiser?), I don't ride as much in the winter. Partly it is because I don't have to commute to work, but also because Montana doesn't salt the roads and therefore most winter roads are often covered with a layer of slippery compacted snow. I find bumpy, uneven, compacted snow is more of a problem than riding on ice.

The stories on the "Ice Bike" web site could be interesting. But I find these days I don't have the same interest in testing myself against nature. Therefore the 350 or 1100 mile ride in Alaska doesn't fire my imagination like it may have once done. Earlier this week a cold front came through with snow and colder weather. I haven't ridden my bicycle in days.

Am I getting smarter, or just getting older?

1 comment:

FIR said...

Hi there, a chance visitor passing by... Nice blog. Sure to drop by sometimes again... :-)