Monday, February 06, 2006

Kissing to the Right

A study conducted by Onur Güntürkün of Ruhr University in Bochum, Germany, found that found that about 65 percent of people tilt their heads to the right when kissing.

"Among the 124 kissing pairs, 80, or 64.5 percent, veered to the right while only 44 (or 35.5 percent) veered to the left. Most of the subjects showed no hesitation at all when it came to positioning their head."

Several articles talk about this. One is more about his study, another also talks about a brief history of kissing in addition to his study, another also has quotes from another researcher speculating whether kissing to the left is less emotional.

I am left handed so I wondered if being right or left handed had an impact on the way one tilts their head.

"The study says kissing side preference is not related to handedness. The ratio of right-handers to left-handers worldwide is about eight to one, but that's likely tied to culture and reality more than anything else, says Gunturkun. Because so many tools and products are created for right-handers, many lefties become ambidextrous just to cope. "

Well that fits me. Ambidextrous sometimes, depending how I learned to do something.

"while newborn humans show a right head-turning preference, that preference seems to disappear by the time the baby is 3 to 6 months old. It's not until years later that the preference for the right hand, foot, ear, and eye is established. "

But this doesn't mean the hand, foot, ear, and eye must all be dominant as right or left. I am left handed. My cataract pre-surgery testing showed my right eye is dominant. I think I favor kicking with my right foot. No idea on which ear is dominant but I cock my head to hear better using my left ear. While I catch with my left hand, I bat right-handed. I guess I am all mixed up.

I think I learned to kiss from a girl who kissed to the right.

So how do you kiss?

No comments: