Thursday, February 16, 2006

Post-cataract checkup

I had my final "post-cataract operation" eye checkup today. My eyes look fine. I am to continue using the Pred Forte drops twice a day for another week, and then that's it.

The next to watch for is if a "secondary cataract" develops. This can happen because the eye's lens wasn't 100% removed. A small amount is left in the eye to act as a small barrier in the eye to reduce the chance of infection. This remaining part can later get cloudy ("secondary cataract"). The doctor then would use a laser in the office in a short procedure to zap the lens and clear it up. A secondary cataract has a greater chance of developing in younger people (like me!) who initially get a cataract.

Otherwise I have 20/30 vision in my dominant eye and 20/60 in the other eye. My vision is good enough I don't need glasses (even to read) except in lower light situations where I want to make what I see sharper. I checked with my insurer, Assurant Health, to see if they will pay for my glasses since my vision changed due to my cataract surgery. I got a "submit a request with the appropriate medical info and we'll see" answer. Now to find someone who sells eyeglasses and who also will submit the insurance paper work.

I also found out the clinic which did my surgery is an "out of network" provider to me. I live in Montana and had the surgery done in N. Dakota. Apparently the clinic would be "in network" if I lived in N. Dakota. To me "in and out of network" would mean whether or not the insurer and clinic have an agreement on medical care and payment (in the network of approved health care providers), not whether you live in the state. "In and out of network" is a big deal as "in network" means the insurer pays 100% after my deductible is met, while "out of network" means they only pay 80% after the deductible is met. Assurant said to talk with my network provider, and my network provider said N. Dakota clinics are not "in network" as they are not in Montana, and if I didn't agree to talk with Assurant. "I just did and they said to talk with you."

Don't ya just love health insurance?!

No comments: