Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Where I grew up

Here is a photo of the property where I grew up. Even taking into account that the photo is recent and I haven't lived here in over 25 years, the land hasn't changed much.

The property boundaries are the road at the bottom and the green (unplowed) land - except for the rectangle in the bottom center of the photo bounded by the buildings on the right, plowed land on the left and the trees above the open space. Also the upper right corner is not part of the property.

The trees my father and I planted, and I watered and watered and watered, have mostly survived. They are along the right side, amongst the buildings, and the "L" in the middle of the photo. Some of the Poplar trees we planted have grown so large they hide the north end of the road loop. I am a little surprised the Poplar trees grew this well as this was the driest part of the property.

On the right side, for about half the length, there were 2 rows of trees. The owner who bought the property liked "my" pine trees so much he later moved all but the largest half dozen of them to his other property. That wasn't right!

The faint line that goes left to right slightly above the middle of the photo is the old shelterbelt of trees back from when this used to be farmland. The shelterbelt was mostly American Elm trees, all of which died from Dutch Elm disease after I moved away. Back when I was a kid I built forts in several of the bigger trees.

This trailer park was my world growing up. ...yes, I am trailer trash!

The trailer I grew up in is gone. They don't last forever you know!

This world seemed so big when I was young, and for a long while was all the world I needed. How did I go from this to traveling around the world?