Sunday, August 21, 2022

Raking and then problems with second hay cutting

I'm having major problems with my baler and haven't baled my hay yet. And I'm still getting up early to move my irrigation pipes.  So I am going to bed earlier and this post will be short.

Last Wednesday I raked my hay to turn over the hay for drying.  I raked two rows in one row to make it quicker and less work for my baler.  If I counted right I think I ended up with 21 rows.  I first had to clean my haybine Wednesday before storing it until next year.  So I got a late start to my hay raking Wednesday afternoon.  I finished the raking quickly early Thursday afternoon.

Unraked and raked rows

Also slowing my raking down is that the 90+ temperatures has caused my irrigation pump to turn off.  Now twice a day.  Around 4 pm and around 7 pm.  On my hay raking day and my first day trying to bale my hay.  Donna recommended since the weather forecast was for 90+ degree temperatures for a number more days I should just irrigate at night and turn off the pump during the day so I don't have to deal with the pump turning off on its own.  So I did. I still get up at 7 am to move the pipes for the day and then turn off the pump.  In the evening at 7 pm I only have to start the pump, not move the pipes.  The morning is cooler and less mosquitoes when moving the pipes.   Normally tonight would be the end of my irrigation for the year but now it appears it will be on Wednesday morning.  I am looking forward to the end of my irrigation work as getting up at 7 am is rough on me and I'm not getting my normal amount of sleep.

No comments: