Tuesday, August 02, 2022

Irrigation and reset buttons

I am still irrigating the hayfield.  I made it across the hayfield this weekend and now I am heading back.  I lost another sprinkler when it wore out and shot off and created a geyser.  My irrigation pump shut off a couple more times, Sunday and Monday afternoon.  Our high temperature had reached the mid 90s and I believe that causes the pump to shut off.   

The Sunday afternoon shutoff was different.  I couldn't restart the pump as it appeared I had no power.  I turned the breaker off-and-on but that didn't help.  Ruth's granddaughter's significant other also works for the electric co-op.  He was over at Ruth's and I asked him for help.  I thought it may be possible the electric co-op's power line tripped a fuse.  No, that was not the problem.  He went back and got his voltage meter.  He also brought a relative of Ruth's, who was visiting and had worked for a Nevada electric company for 32 years before he retired.  The two checked and I had power to my breaker, and power past the breaker.  I also have an electrical section that will turn off the pump if the pump loses water pressure.  That section had no power.  Then they discovered two reset buttons in that section.  After the reset buttons were pressed my pump again had power.   My pump was not made after, I believe, 1964.  The electric control panel is from back then also.  Most likely the 40s or 50s.  I'm glad a part was not broken as I doubt "Westinghouse" no longer makes that part or is even around anymore.    On Monday I again had to press the reset buttons.  This is the third or fourth time this year that my pump shut off due to the heat.  The first times I didn't have to press the reset buttons.  I had forgotten the electric panel had reset buttons.  Today the temperature did not reach the 90s and my pump did not turn off.

No comments: