Sunday, August 28, 2022

Pickup problem

Let me try this again.  Rascal my cat stepped on my computer's keyboard and deleted all that I had written. 

Last Saturday I planned on doing lots of work to remove the net-wrap from the baler's roller.  First I had to do my grocery shopping.  When I tried to start my pickup after the third and final store the pickup ran like it wasn't getting enough gas.  The fuel tank was almost half full.  The engine ran up and down for four or five times before the engine quit.  After that the engine would not start.

I don't have a cell phone so I used the store's phone to call my neighbor Curtis.  I left a voicemail message.  Later I learned his Sabbath had just started, and also he doesn't tow vehicles as he once got a ticket for towing another vehicle.

I called my insurance company's roadside assistance.  That was a mess.  The automated virtual assistant had trouble understanding me.  It put me on hold so I could talk to a person.  After a wait, they hung up on me.  I had to re-call.  This time after the automated assistant had trouble understanding me and put me on hold to talk to a real person, someone answered.  I explained my problem and they said they would send a towing service to tow my pickup.

I sat in my pickup.  It was now after noon and the temperature was near 90 degrees.  I got hot and began to sweat so I then moved to the store's sidewalk and sat in the shade there.  After a while I fell asleep.  When I woke up I went inside the store to see what time it was.  An hour and a half had passed since I first started with roadside assistance.  The store employee said customers told her that it looked like a homeless man was sleeping on the store's sidewalk.

I called roadside assistance again and was told the towing service would arrive within 38 minutes.  What?  38 more minutes?   They also gave me the towing service's phone number.  I waited a half an hour and then tried to call the towing service.  Their phone number asked me for an access code.  What?!

I called roadside assistance again and they told me it would be another 90 minutes before the towing service would arrive as they were busy.  What?  It was a quarter to 3 pm.  That busy at that time?  I was getting annoyed and the roadside assistance transferred my call to the towing service after I told roadside assistance the phone number they gave me earlier didn't work.

The towing company told me they were busy as this was Kalispell after all.  And they thought they had to deliver parts to fix the pickup and not tow my pickup.  I corrected him and asked me a tow.  He said he would contact one of his drivers and they would call me back.  After 10 to 15 minutes they never called me.  I called my neighbor Jan to ask her to give me a ride home and I would then find someone to tow me.

I got home at 3:40 pm. My frozen groceries were no longer frozen.  My ice cream was all liquid.

Donna's brother was participating in a drag race event in SW Montana.  I was going to attend with Donna but then my baler problem happened and I canceled out.   Donna showed up after 6 pm to see how my baler repair work was going.  I had her tow my pickup home using my other pickup.  Donna never drives over the speed limit, but apparently because she had been driving for hours on highways with a higher speed limit, and also driving my stick shift pickup which is not usual for her, the next I knew we were driving a few miles over our lower speed limit.  She didn't realize that.  I got her to slow down and drive slower when towing me.

My mechanic is busy and I haven't towed my pickup to his shop yet.  Next week.

So... my baler repair work.  I didn't get much done.  I almost got all the net-wrap removed from where another belt is located.  Using Curtis's heating tool mades the work go a little faster, but the removal still takes time.

No comments: