Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Irrigation geyser

This morning when I woke up I saw that one of the sprinklers in the south irrigation line had come off and a geyser had erupted.  Again a sprinkler shot off the irrigation pipe.  That makes three in ten days.  What is going on? I only had two or three do this in the many years I have been irrigating.



The sprinkler must have come off sometime during the night as the grass around was flattened and torn apart by the force of the falling water.



Taking off the part that screws into the irrigation pipe was challenging.  It didn't want to come off.  I had to go and get a pipe to put over one wrench so I had more leverage to turn the fitting.  I finally was able to do so.   Then I put a new sprinkler on the pipe.



My neighbor Curtis was outside when I was moving the north sprinkler line.  I asked him if I was possible to fix the sprinkler.  He said he would look at it later.  He wanted me to bring him a sprinkler that works so he could compare them.

The sprinkler on the left works.  The one on the right shot off the screw-in bottom part of the sprinkler.  
On the left the sprinkler has a "bump" that holds the sprinkler into the bottom part.  The right looks to be flat with no "bump".



The hayfield was very dewy this morning.   We haven't had rain for a while, and it has been hot and dry.  I don't know why it was so dewy.  I wear this mud boots Donna gave me as a Christmas or birthday gift a year or two ago.  But the hayfield is growing tall.  My pants were wet from above my knees.  Even though I was wearing the boots, the pants inside the boots and the socks I wore all got soaking wet.



Here you can see where I started the irrigation ten days ago.  This is in the north pasture that abuts the hayfield.  Looks like when I am done irrigating the hayfield I will have to irrigate the pastures.



This morning before I walked out to move the irrigation pipes, here where three hot air balloons floating by.  By the time I got my camera the first two hot air balloons landed on the ridge behind the trees.


This evening when I was moving my second irrigation line a motorcyclist stopped and offered to help me.  I tried to refuse help, but he insisted, so I accepted his help.   I have seen this motorcyclist a number of times in the past when I am riding my bicycle.  He was friendly and nodded or waved when I was on my bicycle and he was on his motorcycle.  I believe he told me his name is Billy.  I now know where he lives.

No comments: