Sunday, August 07, 2022

Irrigation: hayfield done

This morning I moved the last of the irrigation pipes out of the hayfield and into the pastures.  It is nice to be done irrigating the hayfield.  The grass and alfalfa are getting tall and my pants got wet up to the height halfway between my knees and hip.  It was extra work moving the pipes from the hayfield over the fence to the pastures.  I'd like to be done with moving irrigation pipes as it is getting old to do. But the pastures are a mix of green and dry.  So they could use some watering.

Since the irrigation lines are in the pastures now, I disconnected the mainline pipes in the hayfield.  I placed the end plug on the last pipe in the pastures.  The job to do over the next few days is moving the hayfield's mainline pipes back to be stacked in the south pasture.



Notes about my recent sprinkler problems.  My neighbor Curtis said he could fix the sprinklers where the sprinklers would shoot out of the fitting and cause a geyser.

On the left is a good sprinkler.  On the right is a sprinkler that wore out the "bump" that keeps the sprinkler head in the fitting and also allows it to turn.


Here is a sprinkler Curtis fixed.   After I got the fixed sprinklers (three), I had another sprinkler wear out and a geyser. That's the fourth failure this year. I was able to use a sprinkler Curtis had fixed to replace the broken sprinkler.  Curtis is amazing as to what he can do.



Then a few days ago a sprinkler post broke off the irrigation pipe when I was moving it.  This post is a steel post.  Why a steel post and not an aluminum post?  My guess is because the sprinkler is a model 70.  This is a larger sprinkler.  You can see the sprinkler end fits over the post, not inside the post.




Even though the irrigation pipes are aluminum, this pipe is steel and the valve is also steel.  So they can be welded together.


No comments: