Saturday, October 23, 2021

Breaking a pocket gopher trap

I am setting pocket gopher traps in the hayfield as I have gotten rid of all the pocket gophers in the pastures.  Unfortunately the cattle are also in the hayfield.   I have plastic milk cartons on the metal posts holding the traps in place.  The cattle like pushing on and playing with the milk cartons.  They bend the metal posts.  They also push dirt back into the hole and bury the trap.

This afternoon, after I fixed the posts and traps, some of the cattle went over to mess with them again. I would chase away cattle from one trap and other cattle would go to another trap.  Finally I thought I was done and was walking away when Little Red started to mess with the last trap I had fixed.  I went back and then found she had stepped on the trap down in the hole in the ground and broke the trap.  As I was picking up the pieces of this trap she walked over to another trap nearby and started pawing the ground where the hole and trap were and also pushed on the metal post.  I chased her way away as I was mad she had broken one trap already.

A few years ago I had 7 traps.  Two were broken over the years by the cattle.  Now this is the third trap broken by the cattle.  I have only 4 traps left.

No comments: