Thursday, June 13, 2019

Weather frustration

My hayfield is ready to cut.  It has been ready for a week now.  It is tall and thick.  The problem?  The weather.  Or I should say, the weather forecast.

It rained a lot last Saturday.  So much that I planned on waiting till Monday or Tuesday for it the grass completely dry before cutting it.  But then the forecast had a chance of rain on Thursday.  The hay would take three to five days to dry.  Sunday night the Thursday rain chance went up.  Monday night it went up more.  So I decided to wait.  My haying luck is that it rains on my field even if there is a barely chance of rain in the forecast.  Tuesday night the Thursday rain chance went down.  Wednesday night the chance went down even more.  I still wouldn't take a chance even if a number of other farmers around the area have been cutting their fields this week.  I remember back to last year when most of them got their cut hay rained on.

So here it is Thursday. Maybe still a small chance of rain this evening.  I am waiting.  But now a rain chance went up for next Monday.  Remember I said it takes a number of days for the hay to dry.  Then after Monday next week each day had a chance of rain.  The long term forecast calls for June 20 to June 30 to be colder and wet.  So... if I don't cut Friday I can forget about cutting my hay until sometime in July.

This afternoon I got the haybine out and greased it up.  While greasing the haybine a stray cloud sprinkled a few rain drops for about a minute.  It was God or mother nature reminding me of past rain history.


Still....  I want to cut my hayfield!    By evening the clouds looked like no rain in the Valley tonight.  To the north over the mountains and up into Canada that was another story.  They looked to be getting some rain.

So I went and cut a few rows of hay.  I got almost three rows cut before dark.    If it rains, little of my hay will get wet.  The grass is so tall and thick I had to go slower than normal.  I plan on cutting the rest of the field tomorrow.  It looks like it will take me all day to do that.  Now if I can get the hay dried and baled before it rains.  Wish me dry weather!


Today I patched the boards the heifer broke off the building.  Not pretty, but for now it works.


I got the harrows out and harrowed the extended corral area and broke up the manure now that the cattle are out in the pasture.  Now I can put the harrows away for the year.



Ready and waiting.

And speaking of frustration and stress... a few days ago Daisy started to limp.  Something is wrong with his front left foot.   Then Tuesday night to Wednesday night - 24 hours, 10 pm to 10 pm - no sign of Daisy.  She didn't come for breakfast in the morning even though I got up early several times and called for him.  Then no sign of Daisy throughout the day during the time he usually checks in and gets a bite to eat.  Finally he showed up at 10 pm.  Since then, while he still limps, he is checking in during the morning and afternoon.  I worry about that cat.

No comments: