Monday, June 17, 2019

Making rain while the sun shines

The weather forecast had a greater chance of rain this afternoon than on either Saturday or Sunday.  But the opposite happened.  Less rain clouds today than either Saturday or Sunday.  The word is "less" as there were a few rain clouds around, just not over the ranch.

That is not to say the ranch did not get rain.  Mid afternoon the sun was shining and it rained lightly for three to five minutes.  Later in the early evening I had a brief light rain shower that lasted a minute or so.

Raining lightly as the sun shines

So disaster was avoided today.  The forecast is for no rain Tuesday.  Based on the poor performance of the forecasts lately... we'll see.

The hay is pretty much dry and can be baled tomorrow.  I checked a few rows and in thick windrows I found slightly green moist hay underneath.   Not much, not too bad, but not ideal.

Since I had the baler hooked up to the tractor, greased and ready to go for tomorrow, I hooked the hay rake up to the pickup.  Before dark I had raked seven rows.  The rows have plenty of hay in each so I didn't need/want to rake two rows together.  To make room to rake each row over I did have to rake two rows together.  I wasn't keen on raking my windrows as I don't need to rake two rows together to make a decent row to bale, but for peace of mind I may end doing so.

No comments: