Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Heifer problem

At a quarter to three this morning as I was falling asleep I heard a loud bang.  Then nothing.  I decided to get up and look outside.  It was a full moon so I could see somewhat.  I found the fence by the driveway was broken.  The top board on the wooden fence is 16 ft long and it was on but one end was tilted up and the other end tilted down.  Inside the fruit tree area was three heifers,  The fourth heifer, cow #7's last year calf, was in the back yard.  The heifer had knocked the board loose when she jumped the fence.

I ran and closed the gate to the road.  I opened the corral gate and the heifer went inside.  I left her in the corral for the night.  Before going back to bed I nailed the board back on the fence.
 
In the morning I let the heifer out of the corral and herded her back into the fruit tree area to be with the other heifers.  Beulah's heifer mounted #7's heifer and #7's heifer just stood there.  She was in standing heat.

I went about to hand raking the cut hay in the corners by the patio.  A few minutes later I saw #7's heifer walking down the driveway to the back yard.  This time she cleared the fence without knocking a board loose.  I had the corral gate already open but by now I had the corral gate to the north pasture also open as I planned on later driving the tractor and baler out to start baling.  I ran and closed the gate to the north pasture.  I put the heifer into the loading corral as there is grass growing there.  She hadn't had anything to eat in the corral last night, and since she was in the fruit tree area for a short while, I figured she wasn't hungry.  She was mooing for the bull but she also took time to eat grass.

I plan on letting the heifers out to be with the bull on Thursday, the 20th.  But I decided since #7 was being a pain I would let her out to be with the bull now as she was in heat really bad and was obsessed with getting satisfaction from the bull.

The cows, and of course Toby, checked out the new heifer when I let her into the middle pasture with the herd.  Later as I was raking hay I saw the heifer walk to the middle/north pasture gate.  She had her tail sticking out as she walked.   She wasn't going to the bathroom.  She had just been satisfied by the bull.

Bathroom break



Disaster day with the haying.  I only got four bales made.  I'll write more about it tomorrow if I survive.  Things are not going well.

No comments: