Thursday, June 27, 2019

Strong rain and hail storm

Last night as I put last year's hay bales back in the hayshed it rained lightly.  It quit raining once I had the bales in the shed.  It didn't rain any more overnight, nor this morning and early afternoon.  If I knew the weather forecast was wrong I would have left the bales out of the hayshed.  That way I could have moved more of this year's hay bales into the hayshed today.  I don't want to move last year's hay bales until I could leave them out until I get all of this year's bales in the shed.

Good thing I didn't move last year's bales out of the hayshed today.  A strong thunderstorm came in suddenly this afternoon after 4:30 pm.  I was patching/strengthening fencing in the fruit tree area when I saw a savagely dark blue line of clouds come from the west / southwest.  Once the clouds were overhead they didn't look as dark blue.  So I thought we'd only get some minor rain.  Then it started to rain large drops here and there.  Steadily the rain picked up.  Then the wind.  Then pea sized hail.  And lots of hail for a long time.  The ground was white, and water began to pool as it rained much faster than the ground could absorb. With the strong wind I ran out and got my bicycle wind spinner which was leaning over and spinning wildly.  It took less than 30 seconds and about a half dozen steps total but I got majorly wet.

Hail piled up here and there.  While it was definitely cooler after the long storm, I was surprised that the piles of hail that came out of the rain gutters were still there at sundown, six hours later. And water is still standing in pools here and there.  I have seen intense rain storms when I lived in the Midwest, but this was one of the more intense storms I have seen here.  Officially we had .85 inch of rain from this storm.  Later when I went to work on my fence rebuild it looked an inch of water was in my bucket of nails and water.






Six hours later some of this hail still had not melted.


Here is a 1 minute 52 second video of the storm: https://youtu.be/WFuDW6ggFuY

No comments: