Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Re-doing some tree protection

Before I let the 4 heifers into the NE pasture I needed to re-do some of the tree protection as those trees have outgrown the fencing I put around them, and over Winter the cattle have eaten some of the tree parts that stick out of the protection.  I worked on this on-and-off the past few days stealing time away from my hayfield fence rebuild.  I got the tree re-do done yesterday, for once days before I had to finish a project before letting the heifers into this pasture.

Here are a few before and after photos.  I worked on more trees than shown in the photos.







The heifers found the flaw in my temporary tree protection in the backyard for one tree.  I had two overlapping wire panels.  I neglected to wire the panels completely together.  The heifers figured out they could spread the panels apart and get their head in to eat the leaves off the lowest tree branch.  By pushing the panels apart it allowed another heifer to push down on one panel to also reach the lowest branch.  With the damage done - 90% of the leaves eaten off the branch - I didn't bother to wire the panels after I pushed them back together.  This morning I found Little Red spreading the panels apart in an effort to eat the remaining 10% of the leaves.   They have plenty of grass to eat left in the yard.


Below is an example of the damage they did to my tool shed building.  I put back on the building part of the board they tore off the building before I took this photo.


My odds and ends scrap/junk pile in the open section in the tool shed provides amusement to the heifers.  Everyone morning I find they have drug some item or two out and onto the lawn.  There is nothing they can eat, it is just wire and scrap metal pieces.  But they amuse themselves each morning to taking something out of there and spreading the items across the lawn in front of the toolshed.

No comments: