Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Hay baling complete

I finished baling my hay this afternoon.  In the morning I hooked the new belt together.



I know... not pretty.  That's all the hooks I have, but it's enough to hold the belt together.

My first bale of the day had a problem and I had to dump the bale and start over.   Hay was getting between the rollers and same large belt as before; the belt next to the large belt moved on top of the large belt at the point the hay was catching in the roller; and the large belt was starting to twist where the hay was catching in the rollers.

I fixed everything and started over.  Everything went fine with the next bale.  And for all of the rest of the bales.  No more problems.  What do you know?!

I ended up with almost 21 bales.  The 21st bale was just shy of a full bale.  Not bad for a second cutting of a first year crop that started out as a disaster with weeds, and only was irrigated for about a month.

I already had enough hay for the Winter, but it doesn't hurt to have more than enough hay.

After I finished baling I used my air compressor to clean the baler.   Tomorrow I will get the bales from the field.  Before I baled the cut hay I noticed some windrows were getting thinner by the day (night).  Those darn deer were eating the cut hay.  One evening one deer didn't want to run away when I quit baling for the evening and got out of the tractor.  I had to yell a few choice words at the deer before she moved, and that was only to another part of the field.

No comments: