Sunday, September 09, 2018

Cattle, hay, etc.

A few days ago I let the bull out of the corral so he could be with the cows again.  He only had a little hay left of his bale so if I didn't let him out I would have to give him another bale.  So far he stays right with the cows and doesn't wander off.

Wednesday I had some leftover bandage and bandage wrapping.  The cow with the injured leg's wound looks better but still is gooey. It appeared she had another small gooey wound above one of her dew claws, which is strange as her leg was bandaged all this time.


I bandaged her leg again.  Since I didn't have a full bandage it only lasted a few days before most of it came off.  However I seen the cow lick her wounds, and that they looked clean.  So for now I don't plan on using the bandages Donna had found that were leftover from her horses.



One of southern neighbors are moving.  They got rid of their horses and still had twenty-some small hay bales of last year's hay.  They gave them to me.   While the hay was covered with a tarp, not all the bales sat on wooden pallets.   Half the bales were still held together well with twine and I put them in the barn.  The other half were loose or barely held together.  Those bales (seen below) I put out in one of my metal hay feeders for the cattle to eat.


I didn't think the cattle would eat all the hay so I drug the metal feeder from just outside the corral to the far end of the north pasture so that the uneaten hay would decay and fertilize that area.  The cattle got all excited and ran around and around and around the pickup and feeder as I pulled the feeder across the pasture.  I felt like I was in an old western movie and the cattle were Indians circling the wagon train.

I checked today and the cattle ate all the hay.  They liked the hay better than I thought they would.


Yesterday I fixed the window insert for the irrigation shed.  This Summer when it was hot and the heat would trip the pump's electrical circuit breaker I left the shed door open to help cool the shed.  To keep the cattle out of the shed I placed odds and ends in the doorway.  One item was the window insert.  The cattle tried to get in the shed and failed to do so.  But in the process they knocked the window insert over and then stepped on it putting a hole in it.   Just to show me I guess.


No comments: