Monday, September 03, 2018

Baler problems

This morning I spent an hour cutting and removing the hay that stopped my baler from working last night.

The jammed up hay

I used a serrated knife to cut the hay.  It was not easy.  The hay was dense; it was awkward cutting among the belts; and I took care not to cut the belt.  Shortly after I reached the point in the photo below I was able to move the belt slightly and remove the rest of the hay.   With the hay gone the baler worked once again.


The removed hay

The row on the right is the unrolled partial bale from last night.  I unrolled it so I could re-bale it.


After I made the second bale of the day (the 7th overall) I discovered a belt from the baler had come off.    What next?!!


The missing belt's location

When I rethreaded the belt back into the baler I discovered the belt was 5 or so inches too short.  I double and triple checked that I threaded the belt correctly.  When I noticed the third belt from the right I realized the missing 5 to 6 inch section must have been an extra section.  I checked the baler and walked the field looking for the missing piece.  I checked the last bale.  No sign of the missing piece.  Great. Just great.

A guy who lives down the road past Donna's place has some old round balers in his junkyard yard.  I asked if he had an extra belt.  Nope.  But he gave me a name of a guy who might have one.  So I went to see Carl.  He was baling his hay.  He has newer balers but he did have an old 4 inch belt he no longer needed.  He gave it to me for free.  Wow.


One side of the belt already had the clips to lace the belt together.  Instead of cutting a 5 to 6 inch section I cut an entire belt.  I only used half of the roll.  My old belt had clips on one side and I removed them, drilled holes in the new belt and then added the clips to this new belt.   It was getting dark when I went to insert the metal pin in the new clips to connect the belt together.  I got the pin halfway through the clips before I had to give up for the night.  Tomorrow I will see if my repair job works and I can finish baling my hay.   The good news is the slight chance of rain today did not happen.

No comments: