Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Phillip Phillips concert in Sandpoint

I think I'm recovered from my concert trip on  Saturday.  I had to go for a 24 mile bicycle ride on Sunday to get reset and energized.


Donna really likes Phillip Phillips.  I never watched American Idol so I didn't know he won season 11.  For my birthday I got a ticket to a Phillip Phillips concert in Sandpoint, Idaho on August 11 - last Saturday night.

Sandpoint is about three and a half hours away through the mountains.



We left around 11 am.  First we visited the Bison Range (which I'll write about in a another post later.)  We got to Sandpoint after 4 pm Idaho time (5 pm Montana time).  As we hadn't eaten since breakfast we were starved.  We came across Dub's Drive-In restaurant and ate there.  (https://www.yelp.com/biz/dubs-drive-in-sandpoint)   Good food but busy.

Donna thought since Sandpoint was a small town she didn't need to study or print the town map and where the concert was taking place.  At over 7,300 people we needed a map.  Donna asked some teenagers in the booth next to us for directions.  They looked it up on their smartphone and pointed us in the right direction.  But still we had trouble.  I asked a guy outside a gas station and his directions got us there.

The teenage girls hadn't heard of Phillip Phillips.  They asked Donna if he was young?  Yes.  They asked if he was cute?  Again Donna told them yes.

The gates opened at 6 pm and the concert started at 7:30 pm.  Seating was first come - first served.  We were there 45 minutes before the gates opened and there was already a long line.  Donna has a bad knee (knee replacement surgery for her is next week) and can't stand for a long period.  I asked a festival volunteer if there were accommodations for handicap people and the answer was yes.

We went to the handicap line. They were already letting the handicapped people inside the grounds. While I am not handicapped they let me in with Donna.

We had two hours before the concert started.  Earlier I had planned to catch up on my sleep during the drive.  But Donna wasn't feeling well so I ended up doing all the driving.  We were sitting on benches in the grandstand so I wasn't able to fully sleep.  While I am a night owl, I only made it to Thompson Falls, MT - about an hour and a half drive, or 86 miles - before I started to get sleepy.  Donna, a morning person, was wide awake and ended up driving the rest of the way back to Kalispell.   We got back to Kalispell about 3:15 am.

The concert was Phillip Phillips and Gavin DeGraw as co-headliners.   Phillip Phillips performed first, which turned to be good for us.   While the other concert goers seemed to be enjoying DeGraw's music, to me it was too loud and his songs were not that appealing.  Especially as we had a long drive home.  I lasted three songs and Donna another three.

The hour and a half concert by Phillip Phillips was good.

Leaving Sandpoint roads were splitting everywhere.  I thought I had taken the right split to get us back to Montana via Hwy 200.  Miles passed and cars dwindled away.  No highway signs. Just darkness and a twisty road.  Finally - after what seemed to be at least 20 miles - I saw a highway sign.  We were on the right highway.






I took a short video of one of Phillip's songs at the concert.  But I suspect YouTube would complain about copyright issues, so I'll skip uploading the video.

No comments: