Friday, August 10, 2018

Heading back

After moving the irrigation pipes twice a day, yesterday I reached the west end of the pastures.  Tonight I started the journey back to the beginning.  The grass is liking the water as it is staying green; and the grass that had begun to turn brown is greening back up.

Pipes are not at the end as this photo was taken a few days ago.

Yesterday morning as I moved irrigation pipes I heard the corral panels around the weed hay rattle.  One cow was trying to lift up one panel on the west side but the panel being wired to the steel fence post was stopping her.   Which cow?  Yes, of course... the problem child, Maria.

One other cow was standing nearby giving encouragement to Maria.

"You go girl!"

"You can do it!"

"Keep lifting."

"Come on now... a little harder."

Which cow was that?   Of course it was Panda.   The other trouble maker.   The rest of the cows were resting or getting ready to rest.  The calves were playing in the river, or on the island.  Yelling, I ran and chased Maria and Panda away from the corral panels.  One other cow nearby thought I lost my mind and she started to call for her calf to stop playing in the river and come to her.  The calf answered back, "But Mom... I'm having fun with my friends."

"Yes, but the rancher has gone nuts."

Back and forth they called and answered each other.

I moved some pipes to throw water towards the weed hay.  Several bales got wet (and smell even worse), and water pooled nearby.  No cattle messed with the weed hay panels today.


With a high temperature of 95 degrees today, I bicycled 30 miles in the morning after moving irrigation pipes, and then caught up on my sleep in the afternoon.

No comments: