Friday, August 03, 2018

Irrigation and missing bull

This morning when I went out to move the irrigation pipes I found half of the northern line partially tipped over.  Apparently the cattle messed with the pipes before I restarted the irrigation pump. So the water thrown by these pipes were not going far.  This evening the cattle were back at it.  In the time it took for me to walk from moving the last pipe in the line to turning the water on for the line the cattle tipped the line over.  Almost all of the pipes were tipped over.  I got wet as I had to tip each individual sprinkler back upright.

The calf whose mother is being made into hamburger is still calling for her mother.  Her voice is pretty horse.  I think the cow and other calf are annoyed by her calling and calling.

After I moved the sprinkler lines in the morning I checked on the cattle.  As I moved the northern line eight cattle were grazing in the middle of the pasture.  I didn't see any of the other cattle.  I walked to the trees near the river and found all the calves and most of the rest of the cattle relaxing in the shade under the trees.  By now the grazing cattle came to rest also.  However the bull was missing.

I scanned the north pasture.  No sign of the bull.

I walked through part of the middle pasture.  No sign of the bull.

I walked through part of the south pasture.  No sign of the bull.

The river level is low.  I checked along the river and looked at the other bank for signs the grass was smashed down.  Nothing.  I looked at the gravel bars for signs of hoofprints.  Nothing.

I spent about 45 minutes looking for the bull.  All cattle were laying down now and probably so was he.  He could be laying under a tree in the shade and I would have trouble finding him.  I decided to go back to the house and look later when the cattle are up and grazing again.  As I approached the corral I saw the bull laying in a lower area next to the corral fence in the shade.  He was keeping the injured cow and the two calves company.  He must have used ninja moves as he wasn't there when I was moving irrigation pipes nearby.

Crisis averted.


No comments: