Monday, February 12, 2018

Freezer quit

After going to the grocery store today I had a few items that were difficult to fit into my refrigerator's freezer so I went to the basement to place them in my small extra freezer.  That's when I discovered the freezer had quit working.  As things were soft and/or smelly... the freezer had quit working some time ago.

From an almost full freezer, all got tossed into the garbage.  Over half the items were frozen pumpkin paste from back when I had a garden.  Donna drops off baked goodies for me so I haven't baked pumpkin bread in ages.

Among the many butter or cool whip sized containers of pumpkin paste I found chokecherries with which I had never got around to making jelly.  It hurt to throw away the small bag of huckleberries I had forgotten I had.

I had other items I forgotten I had.  The freezer was down in the basement - out of sight, out of mind.

I don't plan on buying a new freezer.  I haven't had a garden in a number of years and I don't want extra storage which I would end up eventually filling and potentially getting into this same situation.

I have no clue why the freezer quit working.  The electrical outlet still works so the problem wasn't with that.  The brand of freezer is Avanti.  I bought the freezer the end of November 2007 - just over ten years ago.   Now, my mother's/brother's large chest freezer had been working since the mid-1970s until a few years ago when my brother unplugged it as he didn't need the extra freezer space - about 40 years.


My back continues to improve.  Moving the freezer didn't help my back though.  Once I got the freezer outside the house I dropped the freezer on my left big toe.  I haven't looked at the toe but from how it feels it must be black and blue.

No comments: