Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Feeding cattle hay

I am still on my twice a day feeding schedule for the cattle.  They appear to be fat and happy.

Some cattle can't wait for the hay to be put into the feeder and try to eat it out of the pickup.


With so many cattle trying to eat as soon as I put some hay into the feeder, it can be hard to fill the feeder to the top.  I have to be careful not to poke the cattle with the pitchfork.








Some cattle don't like to eat next to other cattle.  The black cattle pick on the red cattle.  As a result Mama (seen below) often have to circle the feeder to find a spot to squeeze in while taking care not to stand next to a cow who doesn't like them.


I also put some hay into the feeder next to the barn so the cattle don't need to squeeze in so tight at the main feeder.   Red and Mama are first over to eat here as I unload the hay.  Before I get all of the hay out of the pickup Sugar will walk around the pickup and chase Mama away and take her place.  Mama then has to go back to the main feeder and find a place to eat.

Red and Sugar love eating the barley and oat seeds and will lick it from the pickup before I can sweep all the seeds out and into the feeder.








No comments: