Sunday, February 18, 2018

After the latest Winter storm

The wind died down and the snow had quit by the time I woke up.  Unfortunately the foot of snow we got did not blow away.  Most snow stayed and in some areas it even piled up higher in drifts.  Donna called in the morning and told me the snow drifted over the top of her turkeys' house roof.

For my buildings, if it wasn't sealed, snow got in there.  Even though my pickup was parked in the pole-shed with a load of hay, and the pole-shed's opening was away from the wind, the pickup and hay were covered in snow.  The cattle huddled in the loafing shed and under the barn's lean-to and all weathered the weather well.  I shoveled a path between the pickup and corral even though this was one of the few places where most of the snow blew away.  I shoveled out the cattle's feeder and around the feeder so I could drive next to it and not get stuck.  Otherwise the pickup's four-wheel drive was required to drive through the rest of the corral.

The heifers and bad-leg cow's hay level was down flat to the feeder ring level.  So naturally I had to shovel snow off their hay.  In the evening I gave them another bale of straw to lay on even though it seems as if they eat most of it.  Even though it is just straw, the cattle seem to like it as roughage and variety to their hay.

Now that the snow had ended the cold is coming.  The temperature stayed in the teens all day and is predicted to fall below zero tonight and be cold for the next several days.   These temperatures are well below normal for us. I want my global warming back now!

Otherwise to walk anywhere I had to shovel a path.  The GFCI electric outlet for the well for the cattle's water trough tripped. Snow must have gotten somewhere. That outlet is a pain!  I had to string several electric cords to a regular outlet in the toolshed to run the pump.  Usually one cycle of the pump running fixes the GFCI problem but not today.  So I have to continue to use the electric cords to a regular outlet.

Late morning the wind came back up causing some snow to drift.  After Daisy and I warmed and slept by the wood stove after breakfast I went outside.  I didn't feel like starting the tractor to move snow, especially if snow would drift in again.  So I shoveled a path from the corral to the hayshed for me to drive and get more hay.  The 'path' was shoveling two wheel tracks for the pickup and then an area in which I could open a gate to the NE pasture and then the gate to the hayshed.  And I had to shovel out some snow in the hayshed as snow made it all the way to the hay bales inside, which rarely happens.  The snow is so deep in spots that the underside of the pickup rubs on the snow - and the pickup is not low.

That snow shoveling was a few hours. My back is mostly recovered from the two falls on ice last week.  So I'll see if tomorrow I start the tractor or if I go for more exercise.  I have time if I decide to shovel the snow as I have no need to go anywhere.  I shouldn't have to say it, but no, I didn't ride my bicycle today.  There was little traffic on the road today and I didn't notice if the county had any snowplows out.  I doubt it.

No snow photos as it was hard to show any depth.  Late afternoon at times it could be hard to see my 'paths' for the wheels when driving.  All the white blended together.

No comments: