Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Fat lip

Early evening when I gave the cattle their hay bales one of the cattle suddenly pushed me hard against/into the hay feeder.  I got up and turned around and saw it was Buddy.  He was impatient to get to the hay and had tried to push me out of the way.  I moved slightly and he came in beside me.  As I got the twine off and tried to spread the hay out to the end of the feeder Beulah came in on the other side of me.  Neither Buddy (not that I really tried) nor Beulah (who I tried) would move.  I was stuck in the gap between their necks.  I had to climb into the feeder to get away - muddy manure feet and all.

My face must have gone against the feeder when Buddy pushed me as I have a fat lip now.  I usually keep an eye out for Buddy but in the early darkness and crush of cattle I didn't see him come around behind me.

When I went out late evening to feed the cattle again I kept an eye on Buddy.  This time he came to the end of the feeder to reach the hay and I tossed part of the bale his way before he would come around to the side.

No comments: