Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Roof, panels, trees and missing cattle

Rain was forecast for Monday.  It rained on Sunday and Tuesday, but not Monday.  Figures.

Have I done much work on the tool shed roof?  No.  Of course not.  All I got done was to finish cutting the forth stud and then nailed a 11 1/2 ft supporting 2 by 4 in place.  I also bought three more 10 ft metal drip edge pieces as I didn't have enough.

The good news though was my neighbor Curtis lent me his large magnet on a pole and after 10 minutes of searching I found the missing jigsaw clip.  I also found more nails and wire and rusty metal flakes from pipes.  Both Curtis and Dan told me they have a sawzall and that I really need to borrow it in the future if I need one.

Below are the various items I had to remove to find the jigsaw blade, bolt, nut and clip.


A good portion of one day was moving irrigation pipes.  I had the problem of three fallen and de-limbed trees that were blocking the path of one string of pipes.  And I also didn't want to soak these trees as I plan to cut them up this Fall for firewood.

I only had one tank of gas mixed for the chainsaw and a dull chain as I hadn't had time to sharpen the chain even though I bought a new file for the job.  I carefully cut the three trees into movable lengths.  I ran out of gas just as I finished the last cut.  Any sooner and I may not have been able to move the logs by hand.  Yes, I know I have a tractor.  That was Plan B.

Once cut, I moved and stacked the logs away from the sprinklers.




Now that my cattle are back home I gathered up the corral panels I used to block off part of the neighbor's pasture.  When I get time I'll haul Dan's panels back to his place.

Speaking of Dan he finally got his missing cattle back home Monday evening.  He walked and searched all weekend.  Sunday evening a lady called as they were on her land.  Across the highway. In among trees. Even with the lady pointing them out the cattle initially were hard to see. Only one roper was available on Sunday - two were needed.  Monday morning the cattle disappeared again.

Late Monday afternoon they were spotted near Smith Lake in an open area. You could drive nearby, but if they saw a person outside a vehicle they ran. Two ropers were available.  It took both ropers on horseback, temporary corral panels and extra people to get the cattle into Dan's trailer.  Without the ropers it would have been impossible.

Apparently the heifer wasn't too bad to catch and get into the front half of the trailer.  The steer was hell. It took multiple ropes.  One rope around the neck and one on the back leg. He broke one rope. These are quality $50 ropes.  They finally got the steer into the trailer still wearing both ropes.

The two cattle spent the night in the trailer.  There was absolutely no way Dan was letting them out until he delivered them to the livestock auction.  The trailer has a metal latch on the door.  Dan tied some twine around the door as is his custom.  The steer was raising hell inside the trailer trying to break out.  Dan took his long ratchet strap and circled the trailer and ratcheted it tight.  Even so I don't think he slept well.

Early this morning Dan drove to the livestock auction in Missoula and delivered the cattle for Thursday's auction.  Apparently when they opened the door to let the steer out he came out spitting and snorting and ready to fight.  Dan said it was a good thing the walls were high.

They couldn't get the ropes off the steer so the auction planned on putting the steer in a squeeze chute later so they can get the ropes off before he is sold.  


Wednesday I plan on hauling my calves to Missoula and the auction.  I never hauled this many cattle in my trailer.  I may have to pack them in like sardines but I think they'll just fit.  I'll find out tomorrow.  Missoula, at 120 miles, is too far to make two trips worthwhile.  I hope I don't have any interesting stories about the trip to blog about.  Cross your fingers.


As I type this I have a sleeping Daisy on my lap.  She is in the middle of a dream right now as her leg or paw twitches and her lips move and whiskers twitch.

No comments: