Monday, October 19, 2015

Cursed

Two hours or less.  That is all the time I get each day to work on the tool shed roof. 

Sunday I slept late.  I skipped moving irrigation pipes.  After feeding and watering the calves I went and got them a bag of pears.  I get the pears that fall from a neighbor's tree.

Then it was over to Jan's house to replace two florescent lights in her garage. When I left Jan's garage it was raining lightly.  So much for the weather forecast which said Sunday would be cool and cloudy and it wasn't until Monday that we would have a chance of rain. 

Last weekend I delayed starting to work on the tool shed roof because rain was forecast.  It didn't rain.    This weekend, because it wasn't suppose to rain until Monday I didn't cover the exposed tool shed roof with tarps Saturday night.  Of course it would then rain. 

And the rain wasn't quitting so I got out the tarps. 

It was 12:45 pm when I got around to eating breakfast.

After breakfast I sat down to read a newspaper.  I woke up later to realized a different program was on the radio.  I woke up again.  Then again and again.  Over an hour passed.  Then another hour.  Then a half hour, etc., etc.  I would wake up only long enough to calculate how long I was asleep.

Finally I woke up for good at 5 pm.  Yes,  5 pm.  *sigh*    Once again I had two hours to work on the tool shed roof.

I didn't think I was tired but apparently I was.  Even after a full nights sleep.

The rain had quit long ago.  All was pretty much dry except for the wet roof under the tarps.   Guess today I won't be laying down tar paper on the roof in preparation for the asphalt rolled roofing. 

After giving more pears and apples to the calves and checking on their hay and water I worked on the roof.  I found extra jigsaw blades.  It turns out I had the extra blades.  I had looked for them earlier but didn't find them.  As I don't have a jigsaw and have to borrow Jan's jigsaw, I thought I had given her my extra blades.  But no, I had them.

I put a new blade in the jigsaw.  I should have taken more note when I saw the nut didn't seem to tighten quite right but I was in hurry to get some work done before dark.  Since I couldn't work on the tar paper I decided to work on where the tool shed roof meets the pole shed and improve that poor design.  I hadn't cut through the first stud when the nut, screw and blade came off the jigsaw. And a metal clip. 

All the pieces fell into a bunch of metal posts, pipes and rods below.  *sigh*  I had to remove everything in my search. I found everything except for the black metal clip.  After 45+ minutes of searching I gave up.  I used a flashlight and had a very small magnet to help me.  I found old nails and the nut from the handsaw that fell off a few days ago, but no clip.  It would have been quicker to use a handsaw to trim the four studs. 

I trimmed three studs before it got too dark to cut the forth stud.  I need to see to cut straight.

I put the tarps back on the roof.  Because some of the tarps were well worn with holes I had trimmed them smaller when I had taken them off the roof earlier.  So I needed another tarp.  I discovered the light in the garage didn't work.  Really??!!!  I had that fixed this Summer by the electrician when they did their conduit work.

I also placed some metal posts on the tarps.  It is not suppose to be windy, but you know, if I didn't take the time to put the posts on the tarps a wind would blow the tarps off the roof.

So.... not much done once again. 

I think the tool shed roof is cursed.  Every time this year I tried to work on it something happens.  I initially was going to re-roof it way back in March when I completed the irrigation shed roof. I had even taken all the measurements and was about to buy the shingles when the weather then other things delayed me.  No problem, I have all Summer to work on the roof.

Then when fixing the well shed roof I was going to do the tool shed roof too.  I even bought the shingles and roofing materials.  But weeds, cattle, fences irrigation, etc. delayed me.  Delays into August, September, now October.  I should have gotten the roof done last week, but you know how that went. 

Who knows when I will get the re-roofing done?!    I'm not optimistic.

No comments: