Monday, October 26, 2015

Curses! Foiled again.

I am still trying to complete the tool shed re-roof.  Friday I actually started work on the roof at 2:45 pm, hours earlier than usual. I got the soffit and metal edging on one side done and actually laid down the first roll of asphalt roofing.

The photo below shows one of the problem areas.  The rain and snow sits against the pole shed wall then runs off the tool shed roof on each side of the pole shed.  The roof used to come out against the side of the pole shed pole (and through the pole shed wall).  I had trimmed the tool shed roof and its studs back to be even with the pole shed wall and then added the two by four board. (The studs are where the jigsaw blade broke slowing me down).  The pole is discolored from where the water used to run against it.



A metal "L" exists from when I did a little work on the roof back in 2002.  That had stopped the water from running into the pole shed.  That also stopped the water from further rotting the tool shed roof that was inside the pole shed, and stopped the water from freezing into ice and trapping a vehicle's tires.

Here I am using a clamp to try to bend the metal "L" against the pole to give it a little bend at its end to help with water flow.



In addition to the standard roof metal drip edge, I added a wider piece of metal to protect the roof here.  When there is a slow snow melt often there is a little ice and water buildup here.



The photo below shows what I had gotten done on Friday.


The first roll of roofing was tricky as the tool shed roof extends beyond the pole shed wall.  Not on this side as here I cut the tool shed roof to be flush with the pole shed wall.  Beyond the pole shed is where the tool shed roof goes past the wall.

To keep the roofing straight I curl up the roofing against the pole shed wall.  The added benefit is to stop water from flowing into the pole shed wall itself.  Curling up the roofing is why I am trying to get this done before it gets any colder.  I don't want the roofing to crack or tear as I work with it.  It is recommended to work with a temperature 50 F and above.  By the time I could work on this roll the temperature was in the lows 50s.  I had to work slowly and carefully.

Complicating matters is that the roll doesn't reach all the way across the roof.  The label on the rolls said how many square feet the roll covered (two different numbers: 108 and 102 sq ft).  I had to call Owens Corning to ask them how long the roll was.  36 feet as I suspected.

Why didn't I just start from one side and roll the material out?  Due to how the roll is rolled it can only be unrolled from left to right because the overlap tab is at the top.  My problem... my roof is 37 ft 9 inches long.  I wanted the part of the roof not covered (for now) by the roll to be on the left side.

After I unrolled the roll I had to slide it down slightly and curl it up against the pole shed wall.  I got my neighbor Curtis to help by holding one end of the roofing.  That worked successfully as I was able to curl the roofing without tearing it or having the roofing slide too far down past the wall.  That was my problem back in 2002 when I did a similar action.  Back then I did it all myself and ended up tearing the asphalt roll.

So I was feeling pretty good at what I have gotten done on Friday.  Then after dark I went into my house and found that the dining room light, the main kitchen light and main bathroom light didn't work.  What?!  The circuit breaker appeared to be still  on.  I would have to wait until it was light on Saturday to fix the problem.

I went on my evening bicycle ride and when I met my first car I discovered my bicycle light didn't work. Seriously?!  I later learned one of the bicycle light's batteries had some corrosion and once I cleaned the corrosion and contacts the light works again.  Also my bicycle computer  is acting up and sometimes doesn't read all the miles I have ridden.  I lightly sanded the computer's contact points with its sensor but that doesn't seem to be the problem this time.

Saturday, after moving the irrigation pipes, I got Curtis to help me with the house light problem as he had electrical testing equipment.  The circuit breakers were good.  We were able to identify which circuit breaker (#16)  was for the problem lights.  We ended up taking multiple light switches apart and then lights, with the bathroom light taken completely apart.  At first the kitchen light started working when we wiggled its fluorescent tubes.  That didn't work on the dining room light.  But when I was switching the circuit breaker on and off for tests the dining room light started working.

The bathroom light's wiring wasn't showing full voltage of 120.  We ended up going into the attic where there was an electrical junction box splitting the wire off to the bathroom.  Apparently one of the wire connections was a little loose.  Curtis said the plastic twisty cap was for two  wires and not three wires and he replaced them.  He tightened the wire connection and now everything works.

Why after all these years since 2012 did this happen, and why now?  After all I haven't been in the attic recently and barely in the house. It must be because of the tool shed re-roofing curse.  Gremlins must have felt that after a productive Friday afternoon they had to slow me down somehow.  And it did.  It took three hours to figure out the problem then put everything back together and clean the mess up.  So on Saturday I didn't get back to working on the tool shed roof until... you guessed it - 5 pm.

Before the sun set at 6:30 pm on Saturday I was able to unroll a second roll of roofing.  But very slowly as it was 51 degrees barely and the roofing material was stiff.

I handled the second roll by myself.  Knowing where the first roll starts you'd think unrolling the roll would be easy.  No.  Because the second roll was two to three inches longer than the first roll.  I tried sliding the unrolled sheet sideways so it would be even with the roof's edge but found the roofing material would also slide down.  *sigh*  I rolled the material back up - this time from right to left.  Then I could re-position the roll at the right height.  I also discovered the roof was not straight.  It was a challenge keeping the edge of the roll even with the edge of the roof while staying correctly on the overlap line.  Eventually I had to give up staying right on the overlap line as it was not possible over 37+ feet while staying true to the roof's edge.

I had to wait until Sunday to finish sealing the overlap and nailing down the second roll.

No comments: